Saturday, September 12, 2020

Blue Ribbon Tomatoes

 It's harvest time in Sunnypatch Gardens! Each season, the Graham Chocolate Labs grow the most amazing produce for the families of Sunnypatch. Especially interested in the products are my parents, who are almost out of the tomato sauce they canned from last year! The giant tomatoes the Graham's grow are perfect for pizzas. I asked Mr. Graham if I could tag along with his family for harvesting today and he happily agreed. 



When we first got to the tomato fields, I could not believe my eyes, some of these tomatoes are almost the size of my head! I rushed over to the pretty green ones pictured above and asked if they were ready to pick. Mr. Graham chuckled and told me that while fried green tomatoes were delicious, we were here for ripe ones to pick for my parent's pizza sauce. 
                                       

He explained that unripe tomatoes are firm and dry, therefor fry better than the ripe ones which just get mushy. Then he pointed over to Mrs. Graham who had found a great example of the ripening process.


    "I just love the colors!" she said, showing me how they turn from green, to yellowish-orange, and then eventually bright red. The bright red ones are the ones we want today! They are fully ripe and great for pizza sauce.

Ruby then showed me the beautiful flowers growing in the fields. She told me that these are what the tomatoes come from. I couldn't believe it, tomatoes from flowers? Nature is pretty cool!



I sat back and watched as the family methodically climbed the vines and harvested the perfect tomatoes. It was amazing! Charlie told me that this is the second year he and his sister Ruby have helped harvest. They had to do a lot of training to make sure they would pick the correct ones and do it safely. They've been learning all about the science and hard work that goes into properly taking care of crops. I admire their dedication.



After a hard days work, we met up with my parents to deliver their order. A nice big basket of ripe giant tomatoes! I excitedly told them about everything I learned. They were so pleased with their order. I sat with the Graham's a bit longer as they told me, and showed me photos, of last year's harvest. The kids had helped with harvest for the first time and had a blast. They also showed me pictures of their grapes, which we didn't get to see today. Did I mention they won the state fair with their giant red corn? It was huge! I really admire their dedication and hard work to provide delicious and fresh produce to the town of Sunnypatch Gardens.

   I asked them if the farm is hard to keep up with, as I certainly couldn't imagine my family keeping up with all that. They told me they actually just sold the orchard part of their farm to a lovely family who loves growing giant crops and providing amazing food to their community too, & that they should be moving in soon!




I had a lovely day with the Graham's, I hope they invite me over again!
& I'm so excited to meet this new orchard family! I wonder who they are?

xoxo Shiloh

2 comments:

  1. A lovely article with clear, interesting photos! Please thank the Graham family for giving their permission to create this report. I look forward to reading more!

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Jackson! So happy you enjoyed <3
      I hope you & yours are keeping safe as well!

      Delete

Popular Stories